Okay, I am all for gender equality. But when it comes to things like outdoor festivals, I have to admit that being a girl puts you in a disadvantage. You know… dirty toilets, no place to wash your hair. No bathing? Here’s a practical girl’s guide to Oppikoppi.
I myself have never been one of those girls that can go for long without washing my hair or enjoys smelling like a farm animal. From what I’ve heard the facilities at Oppikoppi are few and far between. The following products are sure to keep you (somewhat) clean and happy.
- Wet wipes: for wiping away the BO (I think this means body odor).
- Feminine wipes: Li-Lets makes an awesome handy resealable pack to keep on your person to address (uhm) issues. I can imagine nothing grosser than being dirty down under. (Yes, you know what I mean).
- Waterless hand cleaner: Keep your hands clean (but your mind dirty)
- Which brings us to plastic bags for refuse, keeping your campsite clean at least?
- Dry Shampoo: Spray it on, comb it out and you are good to go.
- Toilet Sanitizer wipes: I found a great box of ten, easy to use wipes at Dischem. Why be exposed to germs? (When I mean germs I am referring to drunken boys spraying the seat)
- Paper toilet seat covers: Box of ten – also from Dischem, this small pocket sized pack serves the same purpose. (No urinary track infection for me, thank you!)
The following things probably seem like unnecessary until you get to Oppikoppi and realize that you can’t buy any of it on site. I am taking the following in my rug sack.
- Remember to put a bottle of water for drinking, headache tablets and some finger plasters into your kit. (You never know!)
- A hat: it saves your face from the sun’s rays, hides hat hair and Aggie Dean would wear one! (Just saying).
- Toilet paper: You know, you sit down and then, argh where is the damn toilet paper. Don’t be a victim.
- Sunscreen: Refer to song. (Maybe you’ll marry, maybe you won’t la la la ).
- A pair of comfy closed shoes for night and a pair of plakkies for day.
- Pack at least 4 panties and 3 bras. (Or don’t, just a suggestion)
- Protect yourself against the cold with a super warm,unflattering jacket for night time.
- A small toothpaste and toothbrush is important (No, not your mother but still, unless you are too drunk to brush your teeth).
- Tinted moisturizer with added SPF, because then you will be wearing make-up while protecting your skin. (Pleasure)
- A camera, extra memory card and battery for some happy snappies makes your Oppikoppi experience one to remember.
- Lastly pack a small mirror and a satchel handbag with a large inner pocket to protect your valuables.
- On a serious note, but more importantly, if you will be engaging in sexual activities please remember to pack condom(s) and some lube. You really don’t want to leave it up to the guy.